Friday, June 19, 2009

Blogging for the Glory of God

I apologize to our small readership for my intermittent blogging as of late. During my hiatus, I have spent time reassessing my goal in blogging. Why do I blog? Am I obeying 1 Corinthians 10:31 in the posts that I make? And most foundationally: why blog? Here are some of the good reasons that I blog:

1. Blogging allows me to communicate gospel truths to an audience that I would not be able to have apart from this forum.
2. Blogging is an easy and accessible way to keep honing and improving my writing craft.
3. Blogging presents an interesting challenge: how to say more with less.
4. Blogging is a way to further interact with the Biblical text you are reading as well as other edifying books.
5. Blogging gives me an opportunity to further assess "aha" moments that I might otherwise miss.

Some dangerous reasons to blog:

1. Narcissism. This is pervasive in our culture today. With the advent of social networking sites like Facebook and MySpace, it is easy to mistake the right to speak with the right to be heard.
2. Self-preservation. There is a feeling of permanency to what we write. Deep within the human heart is a desire to make something truly lasting. Living for the glory of our name is in direct opposition to living for the glory of God's name however.
3. Relationships. Yes, this can also be a dangerous reason to blog. If you long for genuine, meaningful relationships with someone, don't try to maintain it through a blog.

As with any technology, blogging is not inherently evil. The list above is not an exhaustive one. There are more good reasons to blog and there are more dangers to be avoided. So, I ask you, why do you blog?

No comments: