Friday, November 28, 2008

Recommended Read: Communion with God by John Owen

Outside the Bible, John Owen's Communion with God is one of my favorite books. I usually do not recommend "the abridged and made easy-to-read" version of any Puritan work, but in Owen's case I make an exception. Puritan Paperbacks made a wonderful contribution with this volume (transl. R.J.K. Law, Banner of Truth, 1991, repr. 2000). It is 209 pages of sheer glory. Owen is infamously difficult to read, and I would rather the contemporary church read Owen abridged than no Owen at all.

The whole book is a biblical, theological, pastoral, devotional, and practical exposition of 1 John 1:3, which says, "...Our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ." Owen's thesis is that the believer has a distinct communion, fellowship, participation (Grk. koinonia) with each person of the Godhead: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. After explaining the nature of communion with the Trinity, Owen proceeds to expound upon the unique fellowship that the believer has with the Father, the Son, and the Spirit. Owen's tone is warm, intimate, and gracious throughout. The book is truly a pleasure to read and ponder. I highly recommend that you acquire this book as soon as possible and begin savoring its precious truths.

On a practical level, I recommend praying through books, especially works of theology (Puritan theology works best). I developed this spiritual discipline many years ago, and I actively practice it to this day. So then, as I read Owen's biblical descriptions of the Father's love (pgs. 28-30 - eternal, free, unchangeable, selective), I make the theological content into a prayer. For example, I may pray, "O Father, may I know, feel, and believe in my heart that your love is eternal. As far as I can look into eternity past, which is not far, you love, and as far as I can see into eternity future, which is not far, you love. You love beyond my gaze. Your love is infinitely larger than my perception of your love. I also adore your free love for me in Christ. You were not bound to love me, and your justice incited your holy hatred. However, you are love, and you choose to love. Your love is free and unbound. It is a sovereign love. I am also humbled, Father, by your selective love. Jacob have you loved, and Esau have you hated. You chose to love me before the foundation of the world. You have debased my pride and exalted your grace. You loved me first..." And on and on I would pray.

The reason that I practice this discipline, and the reason that I recommend it to you, is because it helps us to avoid a stuffy, sterile, academic and theoretical knowledge that only puff up pride rather than builds up love. Reading theology is dangerous. If we do not read with an aim for the glory of God, a love for Christ, and a desire to grow in grace, then we only increase our condemnation on judgment day. Beware reading theology to inform the head instead of reading to transform the heart. Again, Owen is a good place to start. Read. Learn. Commune.

5 comments:

Katie Almy said...

Logan, since you're making mention of Owen, I'd also strongly recommend Owen's Mortification of Sin (the UNabridged version =P ) It's out of control. Have you read it yet? I keep trying to push it on Trevor... because he doesn't have enough books on his reading list.

Logan Almy said...

Katie - Yes, I have. It is one of my favorites as well. :)

Trevor Almy said...

I want to read everything Owen has ever written. I believe I'll tackle Mortification of Sin first, then either Communion with God or The Death of Death in the Death of Christ.

Trevor Almy said...

Oh and I think that was a typo Katie. I think you meant to write "abridged" version. Either way, it's still good.

Katie Almy said...

It wasn't a typo hubby =P